Joint Communique on the Occasion of the State Visit to Uganda by His Excellency Omar Hassan Ahmed Al-Bashir, President of the Republic of the Sudan
The Heads of State held official talks in a cordial and friendly atmosphere focusing on bilateral relations, regional peace and security, and international matters of mutual interest
1. At the invitation of His Excellency Yoweri Kaguta Museveni, President of the Republic of Uganda, His Excellency Omar Hassan Ahmed Al-Bashir, President of the Republic of the Sudan, paid a two-day State Visit to the Republic of Uganda from 13th to 14th November, 2017. His Excellency President Omar Al-Bashir was accompanied by Ministers and other Senior Government Officials as well as a Business Delegation.
2. The Heads of State held official talks in a cordial and friendly atmosphere focusing on bilateral relations, regional peace and security, and international matters of mutual interest.
3. Their Excellencies reviewed implementation of the decisions made during the Official Visit of His Excellency President Yoweri Museveni to Sudan on September 15-16, 2015 as well as the 5th Joint Ministerial Commission (JMC). They noted the progress being made in cooperation between the two countries particularly in the sectors of trade and investment, transport, security and education.
4. The Heads of State witnessed the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding on Cooperation in Higher Education between the two countries. They directed their respective Ministers to fast track implementation of all decisions agreed upon and conclude all pending Memoranda of Understanding (MoU) for cooperation in the areas of agriculture, sports and youth as well as security before the next JMC to be hosted by Uganda by March 2018.
5. Their Excellencies noted the ongoing collaboration between the respective Standards Agencies with regard to quality assurance of coffee exports and stressed the need for value addition.
6. They welcomed the designation of TARCO Airlines to start direct flights between Khartoum and Entebbe which would greatly improve connectivity between the two countries and promote trade, tourism and investment.
7. During the Visit, a Business Forum which brought together the Sudanese Business Delegation and their Ugandan counterparts was held. The Forum discussed opportunities for trade and investment particularly in agriculture, agro-processing, manufacturing, pharmaceuticals and commodities especially coffee and tea.
8. The Heads of State agreed to convene a Joint Investment Conference in Khartoum, on dates to be confirmed, to showcase trade and investment opportunities in both countries with participation of the private sector from the Sudan, Uganda and Arab countries.
9. His Excellency President Yoweri Museveni congratulated His Excellency President Omar Al-Bashir, the Government and people of the Sudan on the lifting of the trade and economic sanctions that had been unilaterally imposed on the country by the United States for nearly 20 years. The Heads of State noted the opportunities for boosting trade volumes between the countries and called upon the business communities and private sectors to take advantage of this positive development.
10. His Excellency President Yoweri Museveni commended His Excellency President Omar Al-Bashir on the progress being made following the conclusion of the National Dialogue in 2016 which addressed issues of concern to Sudanese parties who participated in the dialogue.
11. Their Excellences exchanged views on regional security, and underscored the need to support the IGAD led revitalization of the implementation of the Agreement on Resolution of Conflict in South Sudan (ARCSS) and the unique roles being played by both Sudan and Uganda as immediate neighbours of South Sudan. They undertook to intensify efforts, bilaterally and within the IGAD and AU frameworks, towards finding a lasting political solution through an all-inclusive National dialogue.
12. On the situation in Somalia, they called upon the international community to support building of the country’s institutions, particularly in the security sector, to enable the Government to deal with the challenges posed by terrorist groups and stabilize the country.
13. The Heads of State also called upon the international community to support African Union Mission in Somalia (AMISOM) with the resources and requisite capabilities to more effectively assist the Somali Government in this regard.
14. His Excellency President Yoweri Kaguta Museveni expressed his gratitude to His Excellency President Omar Al-Bashir for honoring his invitation and for the fruitful discussions they held. His Excellency President Omar Al-Bashir, on his part, expressed gratitude and appreciation to His Excellency President Yoweri Kaguta Museveni, the Government and People of the Republic of Uganda for the warm reception and hospitality accorded to him and his delegation during the State visit.
15. His Excellency President Omar Al-Bashir extended an invitation to His Excellency President Yoweri Kaguta Museveni to pay a State Visit to the Republic of Sudan. The invitation was gladly accepted and the dates will be agreed upon through diplomatic channels.
Distributed by APO Group on behalf of The Republic of Uganda - Ministry of Foreign Affairs.